Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Wild Wildlife of Indianapolis



While visiting the suburbs of Indianapolis this week, what should we see but a collection of coots, looking as coot as coot can be! They were unfortunately quite suspicious of me, and so my photos of them typically involve them looking at me askance:


["You really have nothing better
to do with your day?"]

On the other hand, their nervousness may have been the result of the surprising predator that decided to curl up in a neighbor’s yard:


Either my photography or Annie’s yard-work disturbed it, though, so, after giving us several dirty looks, it ran off into the undergrowth.


It was not the most exciting animal I was to see in Indianapolis (stay tuned for more on our trip to the Indy Zoo!), but it was definitely the most exciting wild animal I encountered.

It wasn’t the most annoyed animal I encountered, either; that honor can be reserved for Liza the cat, whose look of combined boredom and moderate disapproval is as unchanging as it is legendary.


["I could not possibly
be less interested in you."]

Ah, the joyous holiday season, that lifts the spirits of even the beasts of the fields!


{A note: I do write all text and take all pictures. Please do not reproduce either without my permission.}

1 comment:

Anca said...

Yes, those spirits really look lifted:).

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...