Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Battle of the Charismatic Macrofauna

“Charismatic macrofauna,” as some of you may remember, is the term used by biologists (at least, the ones I spend time with) to describe those species of animals that are large (or larger than the majority of animal life on the planet, such as insects, parasites, krill, etc.) and considered cute by almost everybody. These species are often used as poster animals for conservation causes, since most people have greater emotional interest in saving an adorable bear than a lichen. –But this is all peripheral to the subject of today’s post.

I happen to have a number of photos of a few species of the zoo’s charismatic macrofauna, and while I will probably post entries about all of these species at some point, I wanted to ask you, my readers, which you’d like to see first.

So, would you prefer a post, with plenty of pictures, about:

Pandas?


Ring-tailed lemurs?


Asian small-clawed otters?


Or red pandas?


(Bear in mind that the quality or cuteness level of these particular pictures does not represent the general cuteness level of the photos I have for each species; in fact, I’m deliberately tantalizing you with my less-than-best images of these guys.)

{A note: I do write all text and take all pictures. Please do not reproduce either without my permission.}

5 comments:

Anca said...

I'm going for red pandas because, if I were to choose one as a pet (of course, never a wild animal, but you know what I mean), I'd go for this oh-too-cutie!

pattinase (abbott) said...

I'm with Anca.

Goldie said...

I vote otters!

Anonymous said...

Annie votes for otters or red pandas!!!
No, otters!

naomi said...

Um... Yes?

(Any. Maybe the ring-tailed lemurs, since the Halloween post was so good.)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...