Monday, December 6, 2010

UnBearably Cute

I was taking a brisk walk along Rock Creek yesterday morning, just skirting the zoo, when I spotted the Andean bear cubs playing around in their exhibit. My brisk walk through the woods because a brisk walk into the zoo and a long time standing, enchanted, in front of their enclosure.

Early on a chilly Sunday morning, I was their only admirer. A kind zookeeper passing by called one of the cubs to approach the front of the exhibit: “Come and pose!” she said, and, by golly, the cub did!


I exclaimed about the cub’s cuteness, and she told me that he’s in fact “a terror” and a spoiled brat.


“But he’s so cute, I’m sure he gets away with it,” I said, taking pictures like mad.

“Yeah. That’s true across species, isn’t it?” she said, smiling wryly, and walked on.


(P.S. - Expect a post or two involving the winners of the Charismatic Macrofauna battle, the small-clawed otters, in the next couple of days.)



{A note: I do write all text and take all pictures. Please do not reproduce either without my permission.}

3 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

There's something in his eyes that signals "spoiled brat." HA!

Anca said...

Smiling in the first photo and giving us the back paw, which looks remarkably like a human foot, in the last. Nice narrative flow.

Kathleen Cunningham said...

What a self-satisfied little imp of a bear!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...