Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Other Worlds




I don’t myself believe that there are celestial beings crowding the firmament, but I’ve always thought that if angels did exist they would look like sea lions in water: those sleek bodies, that broad-shouldered sweep of wings. (“Pinniped” does mean “feather-foot,” after all.)

What do your divine or supernatural beings look like? Do you envision stalk-eyed fly sprites or porcupine kobolds or cephalopod deities?



{A note: I do write all text and take all pictures. Please do not reproduce either without my permission.}

5 comments:

biobabbler said...

(flips through dictionary to the letter k...)

Olivia V. Ambrogio said...

Whoops--guess my misspent youth reading European fairy tales evinced itself there...

pattinase (abbott) said...

Interesting to wonder how many creatures out of myths, fairy tales, etc. were based on viewing sea creatures from afar. Without any sort of telescope to make their features clear.

Olivia V. Ambrogio said...

Very good point! Certainly sailors have been known to mistake seals and manatees for mermaids (hence manatees' taxonomic order name of Sirenia), and I'm sure those sinuous whale backs became sea serpents. Ooohh... now I'm going to be thinking about this... Thanks, Patti!

Anca said...

The other day, as I was let out of negotiating prison for a brief stint, I watched dragonflies gather for their mysterious, as-yet-unrecorded migration. Not believing in angels but wanting to be taken out of myself, I saw them lit by the sun, looking exactly like fairies riding seahorses through the air.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...